Skip to Main Content

Benedum/Stagg Field (RG 110 Subseries 04d)

This photograph, taken from the front, shows the Benedum Field sign and dedication plaque at Springfield College. The sign is sitting on top of the cement letters "S" and "C." A metal fence is front of the sign and trees are visible in the background.

Benedum / Stagg Field

Paul G. Benedum Field was completed in 1971. The 88,164 square foot area, costing $415,000 consists of a poly-turf surface that is used for football, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey, physical education classes, and intramural athletics. It was one of the largest synthetic playing surfaces in the world. In 1975, concerns were made about the deterioration on the field with the shedding of turf, and a decision was made in 1978 to re-turf the field. Paul G. Benedum was the President of the Benedum-Trees Oil Company and a member of the Board of Directors of many gasoline and oil companies in the Unites States. He served as a member of the Springfield College Board of Trustees from 1962 to 1968, and as a Corporator of the college from 1968 to 1971. In October of 2007, Benedum Field was renamed Stagg field in honor of Amos Alonzo Stagg (1862-1965). Stagg brought football to what is now Springfield College and coached the institution’s first team in 1891. After arriving as a graduate student and instructor in 1890, Stagg posted a notice inviting students and faculty to play football for the institution. After coaching for fifty-seven years at number of different institutions, he became the dean of college football coaches. Stagg pioneered the huddle, the man in motion, the end-around, and the Statue of Liberty play, among others.

Scope and Contents of the Subseries

This sub-series contains materials on Benedum field (Benedum Field becomes Stagg Field in 2007). Materials include correspondence, memos, reports, notes, photographs and articles, mostly on the planning and construction of the field in the early 1970s. Of particular import are photographs of three of the playing field surface constructions, including the initial construction. Other photographs include those taken of the inaugural game with Art Linkletter as the Master of Ceremonies and general shots of the field throughout the years. There are some documents and a DVD of the dedication of the field as the Amos Alonzo Stagg Field in 2007.